Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sausage & Peppers

2-3 turkey Italian sausage links
2 cups Marinara Sauce or 2 small cans of Hunt's tomato sauce
1 bell pepper, chopped medium to large
1/2 onion, chopped medium to large

Brown sausage on all sides, add peppers and onions and cook til soft. Add Marinara Sauce or Hunt's sauce (cans swished with water as needed). If using Hunt's sauce, you will need to season with oregano and basil, maybe salt and probably pepper. Simmer until sausage is done, about 15-20 minutes. Serve as-is, over rice, or on a dense roll.

This is very fast to do, especially since the onions and peppers are rough-chopped. Cook time is the longest part. My grandma made sausage and peppers and this makes me think of her.

I have to add a belated follow-up comment. I just made this recipe this morning for lunch today or tomorrow. I needed to use up two italian turkey sausages and some leftover marinara sauce from earlier in the week. After taking the photo, I actually cut the sausages in half (to serve more than two people) and left it to simmer on the stove for about an hour on the lowest possible setting, stirring occasionally. At lunch time my husband remembered we had saved two Italian rolls in the deep freeze from our last visit out East. While we generally try to avoid white flour, we do make exceptions and Calandra's rolls are one of them! If you can make this sausage & peppers recipe and enjoy it on a dense Italian bread, like a Calandra's roll, I think you will really be blown away by how delicious this simiple recipe is.

Photo shows the sausage simmering on the stove top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...