Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pico de Gallo

This recipe makes use of garden vegetables and is a great side dish, appetizer, or snack. It's also really easy to make, although takes a bit of time due to all the chopping and dicing. Also, quantities are approximate as I know the size of your summer vegetables varies, so keep that in mind when you are making your own. Also, you could use any type of tomato or pepper or onion, so feel free to substitute with whatever you have in your own garden.


Ingredients
**All approximate
3 large tomatoes, diced
2 jalapeños, finely diced
2 Serrano peppers, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1/2 to 1 large red onion, diced (or one small or 3-4 miniatures)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
Juice of one lime
Sea salt & pepper to taste

How To:
Combine all ingredients. Done!

Comments: The heat level is fairly high on this one (our jalapeños and Serranos were both pretty hot) so adjust as desired. Also if you are a cilantro kind of person, I would suggest adding chopped cilantro too. Since I am not, I excluded it from my version. Also, if you find this makes too much salsa than you can use up, keep in mind you can add to other dishes. I have added to cooked whole beans, refried beans, soups, and even sautéed vegetables for a kick. You could use it to flavor a meatloaf or add to baked chicken. Serve on top of omelets, burritos, fajitas, corn fritters, chicken or any meat, etc. I have read that it lasts anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks in the refrigerator, but I cannot say for sure since ours never lasts that long! I think this recipe makes about four to six cups, but our tomatoes are the very large heirloom variety.



Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...