Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tomato Soup

2 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (or 1 28-ounce can)
2 medium stalks of celery or one large stalk, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, smashed so skins are broken
About 1 cup chicken broth (more or less to your desired consistency)
1 t basil
1/3 can lite coconut milk
Hot seeds (very small sprinkle, 1/4 t or less to your taste)
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Strain the canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet with the "smashed" garlic (still in skins). Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil. Cook for about 15 minutes. Garlic skins will be browned and insides will be mushy.

In the meantime, dice all veggies and saute in olive oil in a medium saucepan for about ten minutes. When tomatoes are done, add tomatoes and garlic (skins removed) to saucepan. Also add reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, hot seeds, and basil. Simmer about 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are soft. Transfer to a food processer, blender, (or use an immersion blender in the same saucepan) and puree until smooth. Return to pan and add coconut milk, mix well. Simmer about 5 to 10 more minutes and serve.

Preparation time is about 15-20 minutes on this due to all the chopping.

Comments: I very rarely get sick, but very unfortunately caught our son's cold this week. Since I didn't feel well enough to work, I had extra time to cook and was craving soups of all kinds. I had never made tomato soup before, but thought I would give it a try and this turned out really good. I served this with Garlic Toast Points in lieu of grilled cheese and it was really a perfect dinner. I did not miss the greasy grilled cheese on the side or the cream in this tomato soup, which subsititutes coconut milk instead of cream (a trick I picked up from my friend Mrs. Scratch.Love).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...