Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Body Series - Oils - Part 2: Meadow Foam Seed, Jojoba Oil, and Hemp Seed Oil

My first post on this topic covered three oils (Almond, Avocado, and Coconut) and compared them based on various characteristics. I discussed how using oils (vegetable, nut, and/or seed oils) to moisturize and care for our skin is a great idea for numerous reasons including quality, cost, availability, effectiveness, flexibility, etc. So, onward search to find the right oil or oils to use....


In this post, I have included Meadow Foam Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Hemp Seed Oil. Keep in mind, this is a casual experiment and based on my experiences with these oils over the course of several weeks. But, I think you'll find the results meaningful and useful.


The Great "Oil" Experiment - Part 2 -
Meadow Foam Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Hemp Seed Oil

MEADOWFOAM SEED OIL

JOJOBA OIL

HEMP SEED OIL

Method of Use:
I applied each oil as a morning moisturizer after shower to my face and body and then tracked the "open-air" absorption as well several other standard characteristics and overall results, which I've included here.

I did read here that skin regenerates every 21 to 30 days, so it would seem that you personally would really want to test an oil for a full month before deciding whether or not you are happy with the results. However, keep in mind that many factors contribute to the health and corresponding appearance of your skin, not just what you put on your body, but what you put in your body as well as environmental factors, well-being, etc.

***I had intended to use the oils for about three days each, but in practice that didn't seem nearly long enough and I ended up using them for one to two weeks each, which is still probably not long enough to make a personal decision, although enough to point one in the right direction.


Meadow Foam Seed Oil
Meadow Foam Oil contains over 98.0% fatty acids with chain lengths of 20 carbons or more and it has higher quality triglyceride levels when compared to other vegetable oils. Due to the oil's unique chemistry, it provides emolliency without being overly greasy. When combined with less stable oils, Meadow Foam Seed Oil can boost their oxidative stabilty. The flower received its name, because, when in bloom, the fields resemble foam blowing on the ocean (see pictures here). Very pretty.

This oil benefits natural body care recipes because of its ability to moisturize and adhere to the skin. When applied to the skin, it will form a moisture barrier to help prevent moisture loss. It can be used to reduce wrinkles and signs of aging and to add shine to hair and repair dry/ damaged hair. It offers ultraviolet protection, blends well with other oils, and helps products to last longer and retain their scents longer--even under extreme conditions. 

It addition, this oil is reported to be a more environmentally friendly choice having been used as an alternative to sperm whale oil, fed to cattle and other livestock, a source of nutrition for wild animals and insects, and as a renewable crop (usually grown as a rotation crop).


Jojoba Oil
Jojoba Oil is actually a wax extracted from the seed of the jojoba plant. It was historically used by the Native Americans for wound treatment, hair and scalp treatment, hair restorative, and skin healing. It is very silky and quickly absorbed so it may need to be reapplied often or used in blends. It solidifies at cooler temperatures.

It is reported to be beneficial to all skin types but especially for those with acne since jojoba oil is thought to have antibacterial properties and it contains long-chain wax esters that closely resemble skin sebum. It is also a great cleanser for the scalp and skin for these same reasons. 
 
It is highly penetrating and contains a natural anti-inflammatory called myristic acid and is useful in formulations for arthritis and rheumatism. It can be used as a moisturizer (hair, skin, nails), thought to reduce wrinkles and stretch marks, helps to balance skins natural oils, and heal acne. It has natural antioxidant properties and can help extend the shelf life of other oils.  


Hemp Seed Oil
Hemp Seed Oil is an edible oil that has a high nutritional value because its ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids matches the balance required by the human body. It contains all the essential amino acids including a rare protein known as globule edestins that is very similar to the globulin found in human blood plasma. It has been called “Nature’s Perfect Food for Humanity”. 

Due to this oil's complete fatty acid profile, it has been studied for use in treating AIDS. It is also thought to be effective to treat numerous health problems related to EFA deficiencies including high blood pressure, edema, low metabolic rate, tuberculosis, hair loss, liver degeneration, circulatory issues, etc.

Furthermore, this oil is reported to produce smooth skin, speed healing, help with blood pressure, enhance immune functions, reduce the pain and swelling of arthritis, reverse PMS, treat bacterial infections, prevent allergies, and help with brain development. It is also thought to be useful in the formation of cell membranes, recovery from fatigue, and as a potential broad spectrum ultraviolet skin protector, just to name a few. 

It is anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, a vulnerary, and helps to balance dry skin and strengthen hair and nails. It is readily absorbed into pores, is an emollient, and has rejuvenating properties. The benefits of this oil are thought to be so numerous that I cannot cite them all here and I encourage you to read more about yourself -- see here and here and source links below for a start. 


RESULTS ------
Keep in mind that you don't want to put something on your body that you wouldn't put in your body. Ensure that is a consideration when deciding which oil to use (and for how long you use it) on your skin.

Meadow Foam Seed Oil:
I fell in love with this oil. Seriously, the benefits it provides (including ultra-violet protection and anti-aging qualities), not to mention the fact that it absorbs well, has no odor, a light color, and is so stable, it increases the shelf life of other, less stable oils--come on?!?!? What more could I ask for?!

This oil is definitely a possibility as a daily use oil. In fact, I don't want to stop using it now. One other bonus benefit, after using it the first time as a whole body moisturizer, I noticed a definite improvement in the softness of my skin. Check out this website for a DIY recipe for a face & body moisturizer using primarily meadowfoam seed oil (and an amusing/ enlightening critique on the original outrageously expensive product).

Jojoba Oil (Wax):
I had an extremely difficult time setting aside the Meadow Foam Seed Oil, so it had to be for a really intriguing alternative. The fact that jojoba oil closely resembles our own skin's sebum did the trick. However, on its own, Jojoba was not going to be moisturizing enough for me. Similar to my experience with Coconut Oil, my skin felt itchy as the day progressed. I was not totally surprised by this result, however, because I had read that this oil may need to be reapplied since it absorbed so quickly.

I believe that this oil will be most useful in blends or for use on my face only, since I would prefer a quickly absorbing oil there. Also, I intend to try this at some point as a hair conditioner considering its quick absorption qualities.

Hemp Seed Oil:
This was a surprise favorite for me. Not only does this oil have numerous potential benefits, but it also appears to be very moisturizing and quickly absorbing, which sort of amazed me. In fact, this post was delayed because I wanted to continue to use the hemp seed oil until it caused my skin to dry out (I just knew it would).

But, I used the oil for two weeks and that was never the case, although it was the best absorber so far. And it doesn't end there-- after using this oil I had a noticeable improvement in the softness of my skin, similar to the Meadow Foam Seed Oil. Furthermore,  it's so nutritious I began adding it to my protein shakes instead of the flax seed oil I was formerly using.

The downside to this oil: if anything, it was a bit of a hassle storing it in the refrigerator. This is a very delicate oil and does not withstand cooking (high temps) or excessive light. I also read that lower quality oils would become rancid easily, but I do not think it is difficult to find a high quality version. In addition, it has a strong nutty/ grassy smell, but I did not notice it to be strong after applying it to my skin. Overall, I loved this oil and will try to find a way to use it regularly to nourish my skin, probably through continued addition to my foods and external use.

The chart below summarizes various characteristics of the oils used.

 *Cost per ounce based on 8.5 ounce bottle purchased online at MRH (excludes S&H). You may be able to save a bit buying in bulk or buying locally.
 



So there you go, Part 2 of the Great Oil Experiment and I think the idea that really solidified itself after this set is that I am not going to likely find one oil, but rather, I think the most benefit will be found in using a combination of a few favorite oils... Also, two favorites became apparent in this set - Meadowfoam and Hemp Seed and I wonder how they'll hold up to the next set....

Stay tuned for the next set of oils in Part 3..... Baobab and Kukui Nut, no, no... Tamanu, Wheat Germ, and Argan... so many great choices!
 
Update! View Part 3 here!
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!
______________
Sources:
1. http://www.meadowfoam.com/mso.php
2. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
3. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/meadowfoam.php
4. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/the-beauty-of-meadow-foam
5. http://www.essentialingredients.com/pdf/MeadowfoamBrochure.pdf
6. http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/carrieroilprofiles.asp
7. http://www.livestrong.com/article/87154-jojoba-oil-benefits/
8. http://www.livestrong.com/article/284301-jojoba-oil-treatment-for-the-scalp/
9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_oil
10. http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=64
11. http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/hempseed.php




Nap-Time Creations

30 comments:

  1. Hi, what an interesting experiment! I also use different food-grade oils on my skin. Have you looked at adding essential oils to your skin oil? That might be a fun next step once you find the oil you prefer. I do a lot of work with floracopeia.com - a company that is passionate about finding the best essential oils in the world. They have some blog posts that you might find interesting to give you ideas about natural skin care ideas using essential oils for their healing qualities.
    Smiles,
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically do mix with essential oils, but stopped for the "experiment" just to isolate which base oil was most beneficial for me. I will definitely check out that website as I am going to add the essential oils back into my own routine as soon as I wrap these posts up.

      Thanks so much for the information!

      Delete
    2. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! cbd oil

      Delete
  2. HI Linda,

    You're welcome! They also have a great affiliate program if you are interested once you check out their site.
    www.floracopeia.com

    I'll be curious to see what you learn from the experiment. I prefer natural oils and I heard somewhere that the molecules are too large to really add moisture. I don't like using most creams because of the chemicals they contain.

    Warmly,
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly my reasons behind doing this - I took a look at the ingredient lists on most products and was pretty shocked. I do love how natural oils only have one ingredient. :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent. I am getting ready to start using natural oils like these with E.O's for various routines. This is a very helpful place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it is useful! I would be interested to hear of a combination that you like.

      Delete
  4. This is great info, and I have to say you did a lot of hard work conveying the info in this post!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you find it helpful. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm impressed with your study on these oils. What great information you've shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you find it useful information. It's been fun/ interesting to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, this is a fantastic post, you've done so much research! I appreciate your little cost breakdown too :)

    I would love it if you could find the time to come and share this on my blog's new link up, Waste Not Want Not on Poor and Gluten Free, for sharing ideas on frugal living, recipes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I stopped by your blog (and facebook page) and became a new follower - it looks like you have a lot of great information to share.

      I will definitely share this on your blog hop tomorrow. Thanks for the invitation!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Linda! I'm following you too ;) Thanks for sharing on Waste Not Want Not.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the info. It's good to have another resource and someone's personal experience when deciding on a purchase. Thanks, will be pinning this info! Blessings, Nancy at livininthegreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What beautiful pictures on your blog! I am glad you think the information will be useful. It's been interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

      :)

      Delete
  9. Love this! Thank you for taking the time to test these 3 amazing oils out and your write up. Thank you for sharing with us at Healthy 2Days Wednesdays. Come back to see if you were featured. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a thoughtful comment and I will definitely check back! I am glad you enjoyed the post.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. I just love this series! I have never used meadow foam but will definitely give it a try thanks to this post! I am really excited actually :) Thanks so much for sharing this on Natural Living Monday! I can't wait to see what you have to share this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It really means a lot knowing that these posts are useful. :) Part 3 of this series is about a week out and still not sure what I'm posting for this week.... one of those weeks, you know!

      PS - The meadow foam seed oil is really wonderful. I think you'll like it a lot!

      Delete
  11. wow, how clever of you! Thanks for linking to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. THIS PROJECT is being featured at this weeks party. Hope you will stop by and check it out! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/10/pull-apart-pumpkin-maple-bread-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is awesome - thank you! I will defintely stop by. :) I am glad you enjoyed the post. It has been really fun to do.

      Delete
  12. Great to see this post featured on Healthy2day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is such an honor! That is only my second feature. This blog stuff is hard work. :)

      Delete
  13. That is awesome Linda! It is hard work, especially this post, I don't think people who don't blog know how much time and work goes into these posts, and how many cold dinners we eat because we were busy taking pictures, and getting all the measurements wrote down. It is nice to be recognized! This post certainly deserved some recognition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, seriously, I think my family gets tired of waiting for dinner so I can take a few pictures. It is comforting though knowing we are all doing the same thing. :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Linda,
    I am new at formulating body products and just stumbled upon your website. Thank you for these articles - you are right up my alley with your analytical thinking.
    I've read that rosehip oil and evening primrose oil are great for our skin. Have you compared those to jojoba, meadowfoam & hemp? What is your opinion on them?
    Thank you!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for the comment! I do actually use Rosehip oil on a regular basis but have not yet tried evening primrose oil, although I have some preliminary research. In a nutshell, I view the Rosehip oil as more focused (not something I'd want to use all over). For one thing, it is very delicate and needs to be refrigerated. Also, it has a strong, not necessarily pleasant odor(like sesame oil) :) and finally, I did not find that it absorbed quickly, although it reportedly has a decent absorption. That being said, it has some amazing qualities (anti-aging/ anti-wrinkle/ stretch marks, etc etc, and I use it regularly on a scar and also to treat rosacea. I think you would definitely benefit by trying this oil. Regarding Evening Primrose, it also has some amazing qualities. I just haven't gotten to it yet. I think both oils would be excellent choices. I was thinking of doing a rose series one of these days or a series on "focus oriented" oils, and perhaps this is motiviation! If you try these oils, please come back and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  15. Great Information sharing thanks

    For More Info Visit : jojoba and coconut oil

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to Admin for Sharing such useful Information. I really like your Blog. Addition to your Story here I am Contributing 1 more Similar Story 5 Amazing Hemp Seed Oil benefits for Skin.

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...