Friday, August 24, 2012

Simple Tomato Basil Soup



Ingredients:
3 to 3 1/2 cups (about 26 ounces) of chopped tomatoes
6 large basil leaves, sliced thinly
1/2 cup half and half or whole milk or cream, organic and grass fed milk
3 tbsp. butter, try this
1 cup broth, I used chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
A pinch of hot seeds (optional)

How To:
In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, broth, basil, salt, pepper and hot seeds. Simmer on low to medium low for about 15 to 30 minutes.

Blend until smooth (use a blender, food processor, or immersion blender). This should fit in one batch in a blender (it did in mine anyway). Return to pot and over low heat, add milk and butter. Simmer for another 20 minutes or so and serve.

Comments: This is so easy to make and very nourishing. We got a tiny bit of rain today and "cooler" weather (like upper 80's/ low 90's) and since I've been craving soup I decided to just go for it. This was a great preview of cooler-weather cooking to come and a really easy soup to make. This time of year you probably have lots of garden tomatoes to use up but you could also use one container of Pomi tomatoes to make this super easy if you don't have any garden tomatoes ready. I usually make this with grilled cheese sandwiches - one of our favorites!

 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...