Saturday, August 31, 2013

Summer Squash Couscous

I have been searching the internet for squash recipes this month to try to find ways to use up all the squash I've gotten from my CSA box. Even after giving some away I find myself with an abundance and a need for new recipes. This light summer dish is really wonderful.


Ingredients:

Dressing
1 tbsp. lemon zest (about one lemon's worth)
Juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp. raw honey, find a local source or try this one
1/4 cup olive oil, I used this one
3-4 cloves garlic, minced finely

1 cup uncooked couscous, I used a Jerusalem couscous like this one
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup diced yellow squash
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1 small onion (or one medium shallot) finely chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped pistachios
2 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste


How To:
1. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients listed above. Set aside for 30 minutes.

2. Cook the couscous according to directions on package. You may want to boil with a little salt and butter, depending on your preference and package directions. When done, pour into a large bowl and toss with a fork (to prevent sticking). Set aside.

3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook squash, zucchini, onion, raisins, pistachios and a pinch of salt for a few minutes. Don't over cook - you don't want the squash mushy. Set aside to allow the vegetables to reach room temperature.

4. Combine veggies with couscous, then slowly pour the dressing and stir to combine. You may not need all the dressing - just add what you need. (You can use the remainder for a salad dressing, marinade, drizzle over asparagus or other veggies and roast, etc. etc.) Fold in the mint and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

 
Comments:
This recipe serves about four as a main dish or 6 to 8 as a side dish. It takes about 30-45 minutes to prepare, but totally worth it. It really invokes feelings of summer with the fresh mint and squash. This recipe is adapted from one I found on Food52 from The Internet Cooking Princess. Here is the link to the original recipe, which would be totally worthwhile to check out as it includes ideas for substitutions and there is a great review by the Food52 Editors as well as gorgeous step by step photos.
 
Israeli, or Jerusalem or Pearl couscous, is a completely flour-based pasta made of hard-wheat flour shaped into spheres and then oven toasted. I have always had good luck preparing based on package directions.

Pistachios do not necessarily need to be soaked because the process of extracting the nuts from their fruit and skins destroys the enzymes. If you do decide to soak, Nourishing Traditions recommends no longer than six hours and Small Footprint Family recommends no more than two.

 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!
 

4 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting. I have a box of couscous that I have never tried to make. i think I'll try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really very good. I think you will enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! The ingredients sound nourishing, and I appreciate the note on soaking and pistachios.

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by Spiced Curiosity!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...