Sunday, October 13, 2013

Garlic Chile Sauce

My husband enjoys all things spicy and will use this garlic chile sauce on everything.



Ingredients:
7-10 large garlic cloves
An assortment of peppers to make 1 1/2 cups paste with garlic (In this batch I used 31 Chiles, 6 Cayenne peppers, 3 medium-sized red JalapeƱos, 5 large Habaneros, and 2 medium-sized Bhut Jolokia peppers, see comments below)
1 cup rice vinegar, like this one
1 cup coconut sugar, like this one
1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar, like this one
1 cup filtered water
3 tbsp. fish sauce, like this one
 

How To:
1. Make Pepper-Garlic Paste: Combine peppers and garlic in a food processor or Magic Bullet or a blender. Process until a paste forms. You will want about 1 1/2 cups of paste (shown below).

 
2. Make Sauce: Combine the pepper-garlic paste with all remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Be sure to stir frequently and maintain a very low boil or you may burn the sauce.
 
Comments:
This will make about 2 cups (16 oz.) of sauce and you can preserve using a water bath method. Otherwise it will be ok in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Regarding the peppers, the mix I mentioned above makes a pretty hot sauce, although cooking the peppers like this reduces their heat a little. However, if you prefer a more mild sauce, you may want to mix up the combination of peppers and select a milder variety. Here is a great chart showing the heat level of peppers and this is a really good chart too. You can use dry peppers in this recipe but you'll need to rehydrate them first - try this method
 
You may need to adjust the ingredients a little based on the exact amount of peppers you use. That is no problem - just keep in mind that the sugar makes it sweeter and so does the vinegar to an extent. The fish sauce makes it saltier. Adjust as needed by adding a small amount at a time and you will not mess it up!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love the contrasting flavors in this sauce. If you can bring it by foodie friday today I think others will enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I think I got it added over there. I have been having a hard time linking to your site over the past few months, which is why I haven't linked up in a while. I think I got it today though, but I could not leave a comment. I am sorry! I don't have a problem perusing your regular posts though, so I stop by and check them out every so often. Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...