Monday, June 2, 2014

Coleslaw

My husband loves coleslaw and we wanted a nutritious go-to version to use in fish tacos. This recipe is perfect because it uses only fresh ingredients and tastes much better than anything you can purchase. One of the ingredients is a citrus (lemon and orange) infused white vinegar that I found on the blog LittleOwlCrunchyMomma. Her exact recipe is called Orange Vinegar (follow the link). You could use plain white vinegar instead, but the infused vinegar makes it really special.

This is an awesome way to use leftover lemon and orange rinds. I use my citrus vinegar for cooking and cleaning. This recipe is one of my favorite finds of the year. I use up a lot of lemons drinking Warm Lemon Water in the mornings and also a lot of oranges drinking orange water in the evenings. I am so happy to have found such a versatile recipe for my leftover lemon and orange rinds.



Ingredients:
1/2 small white cabbage, sliced in very thin strips
1/4 very small onion, minced
1/2 small green bell pepper, minced
1 medium to large carrot, grated
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced

This photo shows the amounts I use of the ingredients listed above

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayo, homemade is best, but use a recipe with a mild flavor
2 tbsp. sugar, I use this one
1/4 tsp. sea salt or Real Salt
1/4 tsp. Emeril's Essence, I make my own
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried lemon zest, minced, I am sure you could use fresh, but I haven't tried it in this recipe
1 tbsp. citrus-infused white vinegar (I infuse mine with lemons and oranges), use plain white vinegar if you haven't made your citrus-infused white vinegar yet
 
 
How To:
1. Chop, grate, and/ or mince your vegetables and parsley. It may seem like a lot of work, but it only takes about 15 minutes since you are using such a small amount of everything. Combine in a medium sized bowl. ***Tip: I slice my cabbage, peppers, and onions as thinly as possible with a very sharp knife, and then mince (peppers and onions) or chop (cabbage) across the slices - very easy!
 
 
2. Make your dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for five minutes.
 
3. Combine. Pour dressing onto your vegetable mixture and gently stir to combine. Then cover and chill for at least 15 minutes and up to an hour. Then serve!
 
 
Comments:
This recipe is the perfect side dish for barbeques and tastes wonderful in fish tacos. It's a fun way to use up leftover cabbage too. This serves from four to eight, depending on the size of the servings. Hands-on work is only about 20 minutes. You may be tempted to use your food processer to cut everything, but I would not recommend it as it may turn out a little too mushy.
 
 
If you are looking for other recipes that use a half head of white cabbage, try making this Ground Beef & Cabbage for dinner (it's simple and delicious) or these bierocks, which are amazing, but take a little more time.

To make easy fish tacos with leftover cooked fish, simply fill a tortilla with coleslaw, chunks of fish (breaded or not), lettuce, and top with this mango-pineapple salsa. Yum!
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!
 
This post was shared at Fat Tuesday, Show and Share WednesdayFight Back Friday, Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm, and Real Food Wednesday! Please follow the links for more great recipe ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...