Monday, September 3, 2012

Ham & Cheese Stuffed Crepes

This is a great way to bring crepes to the dinner table in a savory dish that will soon be one of your favorite "comfort food" meals!
 


Ingredients (ingredients are "per crepe"):
2-3 slices of ham per crepe (thin slices), nitrate free, try this
1 tsp. of Dijon mustard per crepe
1-2 tbsp. of cheese, grated, per crepe (use any type, organic, especially made from raw milk - Swiss, cheddar, Monterey jack, etc.)
A little extra cheese to sprinkle on top
A little butter to grease a 9x13 pan
Cheese sauce, optional (see instructions below)

How To:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease pan. Set aside. In each crepe, spread mustard, ham, and sprinkle with cheese. Roll or fold in half and place in baking dish. Repeat until all crepes are used.

Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top and bake 20 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.

Comments: A friend of mine was planning lunch at a new restaurant this weekend. The restaurant was a French restaurant featuring crepes and that is what piqued my interest in making crepes initially. After perusing their menu, I decided to give them a try over the holiday weekend and they were a big hit here. This is a super easy and quick recipe to make if you have crepes pre-made in the freezer. I would plan for 1 to 2 crepes per person serving size, although my husband ate three himself.


Cheese Sauce (optional): We did make a cheese sauce to go on top. The picture below turned out pretty terrible but the sauce was really good on the crepes. I made this during the 20 minutes that the crepes were baking. It was quite simple-- melt 3 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1 1/2 tbsp of flour and stir about 3 minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in 1 cup milk and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5-10 minutes depending on heat level. Season with salt & pepper. Remove from heat and stir in about 1/4 cup cheese (grated) of your preference, I used a bit of cheddar.

**I do try to avoid white flour in everything I cook except gravies. If you have success with arrowroot powder, you might give it a try here. I will use arrowroot in other gravies, but hesitate for something like this (maybe I'm wrong, I just don't use it enough to be confident of success). Also, I personally think the flavor of a spelt or wheat flour is too strong for a gravy like this and I honestly don't know how well they thicken. So, I use white flour for most gravies I make and my thoughts are that 1 1/2 tbsp. of flour in a rare meal is not a significant amount.

 
Follow me on Facebook or Google+!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...