Thursday, October 25, 2012

Avocado-Tomato Salad

You may find this hard to believe, but I never had an avocado until I was in my 20's and I never had an interest in eating one until I read Dr. Hyman's wonderful book, Ultrametabolism. In this book, I learned that avocados were a healthy fat and one should try to incorporate them into one's diet.

Things really didn't go well at first. I thought that avocados were pretty... um... well, like mushy, hm.... and, slimy, and uh... well, just downright disgusting! Ha! I really couldn't stand them at all. But I had recalled hearing somewhere that one should try to eat something 17 or 22 times (anyway, A LOT) before one definitively decided whether or not they liked the taste of something. So, every so often, I bought an avocado and tried to get it down.

So that's the history and now that you know it, you should be totally surprised that I have an avocado recipe here! But, that silly old rule about trying things 17 times was true because finally, after many years (it took something like 5+ years and way more than 17 times) I can honestly say I really do like avocados. And, my body is happier for it. See, I just love stories with happy endings.


So, my avocado recipe without further ado....



Ingredients:
2 avocados, chunked
1/4 of a medium red onion, diced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
Sea salt & pepper to taste

How To:
Combine all ingredients and serve immediately.

Comments:
I really love this recipe and will often make this for lunch or a light dinner. It feels so nutritious to eat and is very delicious too. Sometimes I will add a squirt of fresh lemon juice, and it's good both ways. I will make this as a side dish for burritos and fajitas--my husband and the little one will eat inside their burritos as they are still trying to appreciate the flavor and consistency of the avocado. Been There. Ha!

This serves about six to eight and is super fast to make, somewhere between five and ten minutes.

Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...