Friday, January 14, 2011

Polenta with Tomatoes & Mozzarella

1/2 package pre-cooked polenta, sliced thinly
1/4-1/2 onion, sliced thinly
7 or 8 grape tomatoes, sliced/chopped
Fresh mozzarella cheese (garnish on top, it was three slices of my cheese and I chopped it)
Olive oil
Sea salt & pepper
2-3 cloves garlic

Saute polenta in olive oil. I like my polenta a little browned so it takes a bit to cook it. I would guess cook it about 10-15 minutes, flipping once. Then add garlic, tomatoes, and onion and saute until done (onion is soft), another 5 minutes or so. If you like the tomatoes "less cooked" add them at the end for a couple of minutes instead of with the onions and garlic.

Comments: My husband really liked this dish (said it was perfect) and so does our six-year old, although he picks out the tomatoes. I was in a hurry tonight, so in the picture the mozzarella cheese is very rough-chopped and I think next time I would make it smaller. Also, I suggest mozzarella cheese in this recipe (and almost all of the recipes) for the flavor but it is also a good choice because it is naturally lower in fat (1 oz. skim milk is about 4.5 grams of fat vs. 1 oz whole milk at just over 6 grams vs. 1 oz. cheddar cheese at 9.4 grams). We typically try to use skim milk mozzarella cheese, but occassionally will include fresh mozzarella cheese for certain recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe I have never had polenta? I must try it! And I love the addition of pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...