Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cauliflower Au Gratin

This recipe is modified slightly from a recipe from Ms. Scratch.Love. This is so good, you will not believe that it is cauliflower!


Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower, cleaned and chopped
1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, finely grated
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1 medium to large onion sliced thinly
A tablespoon or two of olive oil, expeller pressed coconut oil, butter or ghee (to cook the onions)
1 - 2 tbsp. bread crumbs (just to sprinkle on top)
1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. grated Romano cheese
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. ground flax seeds

How To:
1. Pre-Cook Cauliflower & Onions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Clean, trim, and cut cauliflower into bite sizes pieces. Then cook cauliflower until soft (I cooked mine in boiling water for about 10 minutes). In the meantime, cook onions in oil or butter until caramelized. Remove from heat.

 
2. Divide the Cauliflower: When cauliflower is done, drain and place one half back in the saucepan with the onions and the other half in a blender. To the blender, add the yogurt, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (with a small amount of water if needed to blend) and blend until smooth and creamy.

 
3. Combine & Bake: Add the creamed cauliflower to the saucepan with the retained half of the cauliflower and onions. Add cheese and stir gently to combine. Then pour it all into a 9x8 oven safe dish. Sprinkle grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, breadcrumbs, and flax on top. Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes until top is golden brown.

 
Comments:
This was so delicious I was completely shocked! I was very wary of cauliflower but Ms. Scratch.Love created an incredibly delicious dish. Cauliflower is very high in vitamin C and I had been looking for a way to incorporate it into our diets and I can say in all honesty this is the best cauliflower dish I have ever had. Please check out the original recipe at the link above. My grocery store did not have the KerryGold Dubliner cheese she recommends so we have used white cheddar and other hard white cheeses. 
 
I want to say hands-on this takes about 20 minutes with the chopping, blending, and cooking involved. It was well worth it and in the mean time you can work on other parts of your meal (I made with breaded chicken and broccoli rabe).


The color is off in this picture, I am obviously not a professional photographer and not a very good
amateur photographer so I apologize. :)
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...