Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sauteed Easy Broccoli Rabe

1 bunch broccoli rabe
garlic powder
minced onion
salt & pepper
hot seeds
olive oil

Steam broccoli rabe (cleaned and chopped roughly) for a few minutes in water, drain. Transfer to saute pan, sprinkle with seasonings, and fry in olive oil for a few minutes until done.

Comments: My grandma always made broccoli rabe and, if you haven't had it before, be prepared for a slightly bitter, distinctive taste. I really love it, it makes me think of my grandma and growing up, and I will eat it hot, cold, on bread, etc. My grandma traditionally made it by boiling the broccoli rabe until done. In the meantime, cook a little fresh chopped garlic in olive oil until just browned and toss with cooked broccoli rabe, salt, pepper, and hot seeds. Delicious. My aunt, however, makes it by just cooking all in the saute pan and skipping the boiling/steaming step. Hers is delicious as well. I would be embarrassed to tell either of them that I used garlic powder and minced onion on mine tonight, but in my defense, it tastes good (not as good, but still good) and is very fast and easy.

Up until a few years ago, broccoli rabe was not even available in this area and now they have it on a semi-regular basis, although the check-out person can never figure out what the code for it is. You may see it at your grocery store labeled as Chinese Broccoli or Rapini, and I believe that's the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...