Monday, January 13, 2014

Ham & Swiss Sourdough Pancakes

This is a great recipe to use up excess starter and can easily be halved. It is easy to keep a sourdough starter (I promise)! - please check out my Quick Start Guide for more information.



Ingredients:
2 cups fresh sourdough starter (see comments below)
1 pasture egg
3 tbsp. sugar (unrefined cane sugar, coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc.)
2 tbsp. unrefined coconut oil or ghee or melted butter
3-8 tbsp. milk or water, depending on the thickness of your starter
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup chopped cooked ham
3/4 cup diced or grated Swiss Cheese
1/3 tsp. dried dill
1/3 tsp. red/ cayenne pepper
 

How To:
1. Prep: Heat a skillet or griddle to medium/ medium-low heat. You can lightly coat the bottom of the skillet with a small amount of coconut oil if desired. 
 
2. Batter: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix by hand until combined. (***Note: Add just enough milk or water to bring the pancake batter to a "pourable" consistency. You don't want it too thick or too thin, so start with 3 tbsp. and increase from there as needed. My starter is fairly thick, so I usually add about 6 tbsp.)

  
3. Cook: Drop the batter onto the heated skillet, about 2 to 3 spoonfuls worth for each pancake. Cook a few minutes until bubbles form and then flip and cook a few more minutes until golden brown on each side.
 

 
Comments:
This recipe makes about 10 large pancakes. Prep time is very fast but cook time is a bit longer depending on how many pancakes you can cook at a time. I was never a huge pancake fan until recently, when I purchased a starter and needed something to do with the excess. Now, I make lots of versions of pancakes all the time! I keep them frozen and we warm them up in the toaster for quick breakfasts on busy mornings.

 
I purchased a Parisian starter from Cultures For Health and I have been very happy with it. So far I've made sourdough bread, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, and lots of pancakes. Everything has turned out really delicious.
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...