Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Amazing Beef Stew

This is the best beef stew we've ever had. I think you will really enjoy this recipe, which is adapted from the Classic Slow Cooker Beef Stew from the December 2013 issue of Cooking Light. My recipe does not use a slow cooker, but I've included those instructions in the comments if that is your preference.



Ingredients:
2 lbs. beef stew meat, I used this, or cut a boneless chuck roast into 2 inch cubes
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt or Real Salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. ghee (or expeller pressed coconut oil), like this one
2 large yellow onions, chopped in large chunks
6 garlic cloves, minced or thinly sliced
1 12-oz. dark beer, I used this one
1 cup beef or chicken/ turkey or pork stock
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut in approximate 1" to 1 1/2" chunks
1 pound carrots, cut in 2" pieces
4 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup water or stock
2 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour (or arrowroot powder, see comments below)
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. red wine or balsamic vinegar, I used this one

 
How To:
1. Stew Meat: Heat a medium sized soup pot (I used this) over medium-high heat and brown stew meat in 1 tbsp. ghee. Season with salt and pepper and cook about 5-10 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove meat from pot and set aside.

 
2. Vegetables: Add remaining ghee and sauté onions and garlic for about five minutes. Then add beer, scraping the pan to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil and cook for two minutes.

 
3. Remaining Vegetables: Add stock, bay leaves, and thyme, and then return beef to the pot. Cover with potatoes and carrots, sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low/ medium-low and cover. Cook for about 4 hours until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Just leave it be, you'll maybe want to stir it or something, but don't.

Just added everything to the pot
 
4 hours later - see... I didn't stir it. :)
 
4. Finish Up: Add flour to water and stir with a fork or whisk to combine well. Add to the stew and cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in mustard and vinegar and discard bay leaves and thyme leaves. Serve!

 
Comments:
If using a slow cooker, after simmering the beer, gently pour the entire mixture into a slow cooker and then continue with the instructions as indicated above except you'll cook on "low" for 7 hours. 
 
If you do not want to use flour you could try thickening with a similar amount of arrowroot powder, which I imagine will work just as well.

This stew is so good. Serve it with a thick piece of sourdough bread with butter.

 
 Follow me on Facebook or Google+!
 
This recipe was shared at Real Food WednesdayFull Plate Thursday, Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm, Foodie Friday at Simple Living and Eating, and Fight Back Friday. Please follow the links for more great recipe ideas!

6 comments:

  1. Nothing is better these winter nights than beef stew. I made it similar to yours last night. Generally, I use red wine, but all that I had was too good to cook with so I dumped a bottle of beer into it, and it was fine. Seeing your recipe confirms that was an OK alternate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red wine is a great idea and I will have to try it that way too. Let me know which you prefer. Have a great weekend. :)

      Delete
  2. It is a very cold and icy day, your beef stew would be perfect for the day, it looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought the same thing. I had to make it myself the other night because it was so cold here. :) Hope you had a wonderful weekend and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love that there is mustard in your stew. I am so curious what it does to the taste of such a classic beef stew. Thanks so much for sharing this on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mustard (and vinegar too) enhance the depth of flavor. You cannot taste either distinctly, but, combined with the other ingredients, this dish has an overall flavor that is different enough to make it really stand out. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...