Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apple Cake II - Victory!

So I finally revisited apple cake after the first fiasco. There were a few reasons for this... First of all, it's fall now and apples are everywhere and I can't help but want to buy and cook with apples as much as I can. Secondly, since my first try, I have found an interesting sugar alternative. So anyway, here is Take II and a much better cake than the first.


Ingredients:
A little butter or expeller-pressed coconut oil to grease your baking dish
1 medium pasture egg
1/2 cup walnut oil (if you don't have walnut oil, substitute olive oil, coconut oil, melted butter, etc.)
1/2 cup maple sugar, I used this one
1/8 cup local honey (2 tbsp.)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup spelt flour, I used this sprouted flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp. sea salt or Real Salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 large apple (or two small apples), cored and diced

How To:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease one 8x8 baking dish.

2. In a medium to large sized mixing bowl, beat oil and egg with an electric mixer until creamy. Add maple sugar, honey, and vanilla and beat well.

 
3. Add the flours, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon and beat until combined. The batter will be on the thick side. Fold in apples by hand and mix until combined. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.


4. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool about 15 minutes minimum. Serve with a light layer of simple icing or enjoy plain. It is good both ways.

 

Comments: In case you are wondering about the maple sugar, if you live in a small market, you may not be able to find this at your grocery store. I do live in a small market, it was not available at my grocery store (even in the organic section) but I was able to find it in a health food store in town. It was kind of pricey. Since it is so good, and such a better alternative to refined cane sugar (in my opinion) I will probably try to find it bulk online somewhere and have it shipped to me.

This is a pretty sweet breakfast and you could probably reduce the amount of sugar if you are not used to eating sweet things. Try eliminating the honey or using only 1/4 cup maple sugar.

 
This post was shared on Iron Chef Mom Apples.
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google+!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...