Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mashed Potato Cassarole

I have been off my game when it comes to mashed potatoes for the last couple of years (yes, years!). So, I like to try various mashed potato recipes that I occassionally run across. This one is adapted from the November 2011 Cooking Light, a really excellent-looking issue.

3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt, divided
3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup organic milk
1/2 cup grated parmesan/reggiano cheese
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
4 green onions (optional garnish)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook potatoes, garlic, and 1/2 the salt in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes (until tender). Drain.

Using a food mill, hand masher, or hand mixer combine potatoes, remaining salt, milk, and cream cheese. Spoon into an 11x7 glass dish coated with cooking spray (or butter), sprinkle the grated cheese and panko on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned.

Comments: Terrible picture, but this got thumbs up from husband, dad, and six-year old. I thought it was good too. We used 1% organic milk. I did not garnish with green onions, but my panko breadcrumbs were "flavored" garlic and herb-- it was all I had on hand and they were good. However, I think this would have been equally good with home made breadcrumbs from your favorite bread. Also, I cooked mine in a 9x13 and extended the time to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...