Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Best Breakfast Protein Shake Ever


Ingredients:
1 serving size of Rice Protein Powder (I use Nutribiotic brand and one serving is a heaping tablespoon)
1 tbsp organic flax and borage oil (I use Barleans brand)
2 tbsp ground flax seeds (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
1 tsp psyllium husks powder (I use Yerba Prima brand)
1 tbsp nut butter (I use Kettle almond butter)
About 1 cup filtered water, to desired consistency
Just under one cup (a "scant" cup) of organic frozen non-citrus fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, pears, etc. (I use strawberries)
About half one frozen banana

Combine the above in a blender and mix at high speed. Enjoy! For added benefit take a probiotic supplement and fish oil supplement before drinking (or cod liver oil, butter oil, or etc).

Comments:
Despite what you would think, this shake is really very delicious. I cannot taste the rice protein or psyllium husks. This recipe is from Dr. Hyman's Ultrametabolism book and detox box. I highly encourage you to pick up the book--it changed my life for the better and I believe there is beneficial information in this book for everyone. I am a HUGE FAN and Dr. Hyman is my nutrition hero. :)

Also, you can mix and match ingredients. Sometimes I include the psyllium husks and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I will use a different nut butter. Also, try using hemp oil in place of the flax oil (you can read about some of the benefits of hemp oil here).


With some minor prep work, this shake can be less expensive and easier to pull off than you would initially expect. Purchase fresh fruit, peel/ cut and freeze in advance and purchase the other ingredients on a staggered time frame, adding as you go (I would buy in this order - rice protein powder, flax seeds, flax oil, nut butter, and then psyllium husks based on what is important to me and what I think makes the shake taste good).

2 comments:

  1. Nice information you have provided.
    We have to use healthy breakfast shakes, drinks and protein shakes to make our body strong inside. You can make different recipes using horlicks to make your breakfast more delicious.
    visit: Horlicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really remember how Tuesday went, but by Wednesday I was having issues. protein shake blenders

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...