Thursday, September 1, 2011

Simple Brown Rice and Beans

Ingredients:
2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked brown rice, I used short grain
About 1 T olive oil
1 can beans of  your choice, I used red, rinsed and drained (about 15 ounce can)
1 can Ro-tel

How To:
Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add rice, beans, and Ro-tel (I drained most, but not all, of the juices from the Ro-Tel). Cook till heated through and serve.

Comments: I read a really fabulous article by Dr. Hyman about fiber that inspired me to try to incorporte more of it in our daily lives. I was surprised to read from various sources online that women should be getting about 25+ grams a day and men even more. However, we also had football practice tonight and my husband worked late, so I wanted to make something quick and easy. I came up with this very simple dish that was so good I did not even add any other seasonings. In the can of red beans, there was 17.5 grams of fiber and the Ro-tel added 2.5 grams for 20 grams total. In the brown rice, there was about 7 grams.

My husband said he would eat it every day for lunch he enjoyed it so much and our six-year old liked it as well. It is a little spicy from the Ro-tel, but not very much. ***If you don't have Ro-Tel or don't want to use the Ro-Tel, use a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of diced chiles--this was my original intent, but I did not have the diced tomatoes in my cupboard so used the Ro-Tel instead, which turned out very vell. Anyway, you may have to add a little seasonings with the diced tomato/green chilis combination and I recommend rinsing and draining the green chilis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...