Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Spaghetti in a Tomato Sauce with Carmelized Onions

1 8 ounce package corn spaghetti (or alternative non-flour pasta). I like DeBoles brand.
3 T olive oil
1 small onion sliced thinly
1 package mushrooms
1/4 cup dry white wine or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 6 ounce can of tomato sauce
Pepper to taste, salt for water
About 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each of basil and oregano (to taste, add slowly)
Fresh grated parmesan or romano cheese, optional

Saute onions in olive oil until carmelized, about 15 minutes. After about ten minutes add mushrooms. When done add wine and/or chicken broth (if you don't have any wine, use all broth, or vice versa). Add can of sauce and swish the can with about 1/4 water, add. Simmer, season to taste.

In the meantime, when the mushrooms and onions are about done, start your water for the pasta. I added my spagetti to the salted water after breaking it into thirds. Prepare as per directions on package. Your sauce can simmer until the pasta is done.

When pasta is done, drain well. Serve combined with sauce, sprinkle with cheese if desired. Serves about four.

Comments: Pasta is in fact one of my favorite foods in the world and I try to enjoy it occasionally. My husband does not really care for a non-meat pasta, so it is a rare treat for me and the boy. I made this easy dish with items on hand in the house and it was very good. If you have not yet tried the corn pasta, there is really no noticeable taste difference (or texture difference) in this dish--or when served with any rich pasta sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...